Meghan Markle, the new Duchess of Sussex, has been making headlines for her and Prince Harry’s beautiful wedding this past weekend. Meghan Markle has always been advocating for women’s empowerment and gender equality - so we believe she would be an amazing addition to our #NiceGirlGang! Here are our five favorite inspiring moments from Meghan Markle!
- Meghan Markle has always been dedicated to giving back and has contributed to many humanitarian causes over the years. She has traveled to Africa and Asia to work with various humanitarian organizations and is a global ambassador for World Vision. In 2016 she wrote an article for Elle Magazine and stated that giving back "feeds her soul" and that her goal in life is "to use whatever status I have as an actress to make a tangible impact."
- Meghan has always spoken out for women’s equality and gave a speech on International Women’s Day at the United Nations about empowering women! Watch her inspiring speech here.
- Even from the young age of 11, Meghan spoke out against a sexist advertisement for soap. She wrote letters to the company and to the First Lady at the time, Hilary Clinton, which resulted in Proctor and Gamble changing their ad! Go girl power!
- Meghan has always spoke in support of the empowerment of women. At an event for the Royal Foundation, she stated: “I hear a lot of people speaking about girls’ empowerment and women’s empowerment - you will hear people saying they are helping women find their voices, I fundamentally disagree with that because women don’t need to find their voices, they need to be empowered to use it and people need to be urged to listen.”
- Meghan decided to use her status as a celebrity (and now a Royal!) to do as much good in the world that she could. She stated: “With fame comes opportunity, but it also includes responsibility – to advocate and share, to focus less on glass slippers and more on pushing through glass ceilings. And, if I'm lucky enough, to inspire.” Talk about being a #NiceGirl!